Mission oriented fire power
Maximum fire power is a prerequisite for successful engagement in high-intensity conflicts and for adequate reactions in other missions with the option of escalation and de-escalation. The Puma achieves this fire power through the interaction of different innovative elements:
- The main armament is the fully stabilized, automatic 30 mm MK30-2 ABM fitted to the remote-controlled turret. This weapon designed for target engagement on great distances also on the move.
- 200 rounds of two types of ammunition are available ready to use. Further 200 rounds are stowed in the chassis.
- In addition to existing 30 mm full-calibre and sub-calibre fin-stabilized ammunition, it is also possible to fire the newly developed air burst ammunition with time fuzes.
- A variety of state of the art optical and optronic vision devices enables the whole crew 360° all-around surveillance, recognition and identification of targets on long distances.
- The hunter-killer functionality, as available in the Leopard 2 main battle tank, allows the rapid engagement of several targets within a very short time
- PUMA receives an additional weapon system with the integration of the Anti Armour/Multi-Purpose Missile System SPIKE, provided by EuroSpike. The integration of SPIKE boosts the PUMA’s lethality significantly.
- Due to the existing interfaces a grenade launcher can be mounted optionally.
- Calibre: 30 mm
- Rate of fire: 200 rounds per minute
- Effective range up to 3000 m
- Envisioned standard ammunition: APFSDS-T and KETF (ABM)
(other types of ammunition possible)
- Alternate firing of different types of ammunition without last shot accomplished by dual ammunition feeding
- Muzzle velocity measurement and fuze setting of air burst ammunition (ABM)
- Ammunition: 200 rounds ready to fire, additional 200 rounds in storage
The coaxial mounted MG 4 is used as a secondary armament laid and operated analogue to the main weapon.
- Calibre: 5.56 mm
- Rate of fire: appr. 850 rounds per minute
- Effective range up to 1000 m
- Ammunition: 1000 rounds ready to fire, additional 1000 rounds in storage
Missile Weapon System SPIKE
- The integration of SPIKE allows the PUMA to fight enemy targets as well as helicopters and threats behind enemy lines even more effectively.
- The launcher for the two missiles (SPIKE LR) with multipurpose high lethality war heads will be mounted on the turret.
- Fire & Observe Modus or / and
- Fire & Forget Modus
- Min. Range 200m - Max. Range 4000m
The envisioned 30 mm APFSDS-T is a sub-calibre fin-stabilized ammunition with high penetration capability. It is mainly used against vehicles of medium armour protection.
The envisioned 30 mm KETF is a full-calibre multi-purpose ammunition. Depending on the type of target, its time fuze is set for a defined time of flight. Depending on the fuze setting, sub-projectiles will be ejected. Due to the cone of fragments an optimum effect against the specific types of targets will be achieved.